Sunday, March 3, 2013

Homemade Wedding Gift - Part 1 of 4

Wedding season has just about begun! Registries are always helpful when it comes to looking for the perfect wedding gift, but how about a homemade gift? While getting the couple something they have asked for is always courteous, nothing says "best wishes on your new life together" like a personalized DIY project for their home. With about a month away until my friends officially get married and move into their new place, my boyfriend and I decided to start our gift to them. Enter string art. (Click here for a general idea.)

Step 1: Board together three 2''x 8''x 36" pieces of red wood. 

Step 2: Add some hanging wire to the back 
(50 pound rated, can find at your local Michaels or craft store).


We decided to do a string art of their last name so I painted "Fisher" on a large 36'' x 24" piece of vellum of paper. 

Step 3: Once painted, I cut out the outline of "Fisher" and taped the 
cut-out onto the wood for guidance. 

Now it's time to nail. What size nails should you buy? How far apart should they be? How many nails do you need? Make sure to check back in for Part 2 for those answers and more! 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful wood work! I really want to try this project but that looks a little complicated since I don't work much with wood or nails. Do you think you could do a quick tutorial about what I'd need to make that major wood piece? Also, can I buy the wood already cut like that or did you have to saw and sand it down? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am really into this. This takes a lot of motivation to get up and do it yourself (DIY) instead of just paying for something. I enjoy the description in the intro and all the photos you have included. Interested to read the other parts.

    ReplyDelete