Sunday, March 3, 2013

Homemade Wedding Gift - Part 3 of 4


Go ahead and pull off the cut-out of your design:


Now that you finally have all of your nails in, it's time for the string! I recommend you purchase sturdy crochet thread that's made out of 100% mercerized cotton. Also, be sure to choose a color that will really stand out and pop! Try to stay away from neutrals that might blend into the color of the wood.
Here's our pick:

Can be found at your local craft store. 
We bought ours at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores for about $3.

Start at any nail and make sure to tie a solid knot around it. You can add some hot glue to the knot to ensure that it won't come apart. From here, you can begin creating your pattern. The technique isn't all that complicated - just weave across from one nail to another. Make sure you are pulling tight enough to avoid any slack.

Make sure each nail is involved when weaving. 
You will likely double or triple up on most nails in order to fill up the design.


Just about finished!! What are my final touches?
You've made it this far, don't miss part 4 of 4 - coming soon!




6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea for a wedding gift! Nowadays, DIY projects are so popular that I think anyone receiving this gift would be thrilled! And it doesn't seem too hard but at the same time, a good, challenging project to keep you occupied. I can't wait to see part 4 of 4. I think I might make this for my brother and his fiancee for their wedding in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is so cool! I have to admit, it seems a little intimidating, and I don't know if I have the proper dexterity--seeing as I could barely play Cat's Cradle without crying from frustration. But I absolutely love it, and would probably cry my eyes out if someone gave me this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Also love your blog template. When I was a kid, I loved playing with the peg boards and making my own crazy designs with yarn. In girl scouts we did Gods Eyes with the tri-color yarn which I just love but as an adult I feel pretty weird decorating my home with such kiddy crafts on the wall and no kids to be seen. This however is a lovely mix of one of my favorite childhood crafts and my newly acquired adult style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often thought about making something crafty as a wedding present , or just a present for any occasion.

    I think the energy you put in to creating should be cherished by the receiver. They should be like, Awe, he made that with his own two hands, but in my experience people are so materialistic that they just say, "wow thanks!", with that super artificial smile, hiding that, he could have at least went to Target look.

    The next time you see your craft is in the storage part of the garage, in a box under the Christmas Ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I always think about giving creative gifts but I don't because I have no ideas. Thanks for Sharing!
    -Christina C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think wedding gifts doesn't have to be expensive. sometimes, homemade wedding gift ideas are more special since they hold sentimental value and personal touch.

    Thanks for sharing this idea.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete